Friday, October 7, 2016

Musings: Defining Game Value

 

I thought I would take a moment and reflect on how I define the personal value of games. This line of thought actually began a few years ago as I looked at the extremely large number of video games in my PC game Steam library.  As I stared at the long list of games, I realized that I had not played many of them at all, causing me to wonder if maybe I had a game collecting problem.  I did, and still do, but the results of that initial thought has led me to a way to at least stop and consider a game purchase before actually clicking the "Buy" button.  So while I may not have curbed my incessant need to collect games (both video and tabletop), I at least have a measurement that I can call on.

The method I use to gauge whether I have gotten my money's worth out of a game is based on the per-hour cost for the game.  Basically, take the amount of money I paid for a game and divide by the amount of time I have played the game (easy to do in Steam since it gives you an actual time played stat).  The result is essentially paid per hour of game play.  My basic guideline is that I strive to pay one dollar per hour played (so, for example, I would hope to get 30 hours out of a $30 game).  This is a basic method that is sometimes tweaked, depending on the game itself.  I have paid $60 for a game and only played 15 hours, but felt that the experience was so good that I felt that I got full value for my money. So it is, of course, a very subjective sort of measurement, but it lets me feel like I got real value when I hit that mark, or go beyond it.  There is nothing like playing a game to a satisfying conclusion (either the end of the game or when I am done playing) and finding out that I got a great value based on this method.  It's like a double win!

What the above measurement also allows me to do is make decisions when I am considering a game to buy, and this is where it has really helped me. Now, whenever I look at a game, I ask myself if I will get my dollar-per-hour value out of the game.  That makes me think hard about a $60 game.  After all, that means I would be looking to get at least 60 hours of game play out of it.  And in my current life and schedule, that is hard to do.  I also factor in the potential for a great experience that would offset time played, but if I am not sure about a game, the per-hour cost estimation can make or break my decision.  Conversely, it also makes taking a chance on less expensive games easier, since I give myself the permission to play less in order to feel like I got value.  I also feel extreme gratification when I go well beyond the dollar-per-hour goal.

This method of gauging gaming value has had a positive effect on me, both in terms of finding satisfaction in a game even if I do not complete it (a struggle I had for a while, and a subject for another article perhaps), and in making me aware of what games I buy and actually playing them.  After all, there is no value in buying a game and never playing it.  This has led a switch in me from game collector back to game player.  And that makes me happier overall.  My Steam library may not be growing as quickly now, but I am seeing more and more games that have been played.

Now that I am using this metric on my video gaming hobby, I need to start using it on my tabletop gaming buying.  I am very guilty of board game collecting, as well as roleplaying book collecting.  My dollar-per-hour ratio on many of the games that I have bought is not good at the moment, and my addiction to tabletop Kickstarters does not help.  I may need to tweak the metric a bit since tabletop gaming is a different beast and involves others, so there are factors to consider in determining value beyond my own personal enjoyment.  This will be an on-going project, and one that I will update on this blog as I try to figure out how to swing from collecting to playing in the tabletop realm.

So how about you, dear reader?  How do you determine whether you have gotten your money's worth in a game (video or tabletop)?  Do you think my method makes sense or seems off?  It works for me and gives me peace of mind, but it may do nothing for you, and that is ok.  We all determine value differently.  I would love to hear how you determine yours.

Now, if you will excuse me, I need to get going. I just picked up DOOM on sale, so it is high time I go wreck some demons...

1 comment:

  1. I think that $/hour is a fine metric. $1/hour is a fine goal for a computer game but we all happily go to movies at $5/hour. I've been at both ends of the extreme. Sometimes barely playing a AAA pc game or boardgame. Sometimes clocking in 1000+ hours. In the end, life is short, enjoy it while you can (as long as you can pay your bills).

    ReplyDelete